Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Chad Ford Spouting Paul Pierce Rumors

So I'm reading that Chad Ford claims that Portland and Boston have discussed a deal that would send Nick Van Exel and the #3 pick to Boston for Paul Pierce.

I don't believe this rumor to be true for a heartbeat, but I"ll indulge it for a moment.

I've never been a big fan of Paul Pierce. He dribbles too much, dominates the ball, and shoots too many threes. Not to mention that he doesn't play a lick of defense. Pierce has always seemed to play more like a 3 to me than a 2, but Ford seems to think that Pierce would play the 2 in Portland's lineup, which he would. If that were true, the team would look like this:

PG - Telfair, backup to be signed
SG - Pierce, Anderson, Monya
SF - Miles, Outlaw, Patterson, Krapper
PF - Randolph, (backup they draft in 2nd round?), Ratliff
C - Pryzbilla, Ratliff, Ha

That's a playoff team all the way. I guess I'd be excited about Pierce, I just dont' see the point in acquiring him. They'd be a playoff team but not a championship team. He's on the downside of his career and makes huge money. But, a friend pointed out today that he's very impressive "when he tries", which means there's Vince Carter potential with this deal. I suppose he'd be the best 2-guard we've had since Clyde the Glide. I just don't see that deal going down.

No comments: