Thursday, June 22, 2006

Rip City Hello

Hello to all out there in the Blazers blog-sphere. As co-conspirator to this blog, I suppose I might as well give my quick thoughts on the upcoming NBA Draft as it pertains to our own disfunctional Portland Trailblazers. There are really only 4 possible ways they can can go with this pick, and we'll save the discussion about the following picks until later (anyone who thinks they're actually going to be selecting 30th and 31st in this draft is kidding themselves). Anyway, the 4 choices as I see them:

#1 - Adam Morrison. This is obvious, he's the guy. Whether they throw the dice and hope he falls to #4 is anyone's guess, but if there's even the slightest possibility that someone will take him in the 1-3 spots, they'll move up. Frankly, I'm not sure why we're talking about this. He's the scorer they desperately need, he's the new face of the franchise, everyone already loves him and he's not even officially on the team yet, we might as well start calling him "The Savior" right now. If they somehow don't get him, there will be hell to pay, now onto the other 3 choices.

#2 - LaMarcus Aldridge. I would not consider hurling myself off the Steel Bridge if they landed Aldridge. They need a center, he's a good post player on both ends, and they're most likely not going to keep Joel. He could help on D while Z-bo lets a guy go by him in the post, and he'd help Z-bo on the offensive end because they can actually run an offense through him in the post, decent passer, good post moves, and I'm a sucker for a sky hook.

#3 - Brandon Roy. Let's get this out of the way early, if a bolt of lightning struck the University of Washington, there would be a party at my house and all readers of this blog would be invited. Now, I don't mind Roy as a player as much as the co-blog author does, not drafting an elite player on the board because of who you have is the reason Chris Paul is not a Blazer right now. Somehow I think a backcourt of Telfair and Paul would have been a nice problem to have. However, I can see the Atlanta Hawk theory, and he's a Husky, so that's that. I vote a soft "no" on this guy.

#4 - The Italian Guy. Holy God no. Please do not let them draft a big, soft, Euro stiff. Yes I know Dirk is European, but how many other European players would you bet the franchise on? I can't think of any, and remember Manu's from Argentina, which is most definitely not in Europe. If they draft The Italian Guy they better hire some extra security down at 1 Center Court, I may have to take matters into my own hands.

So that's it, my thoughts on the possible Blazer picks. Welcome to the Blog, I'll try not to piss that many people off with my banter (lie).

No comments: